aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

 

The main temple devoted to Lord Vinayaga is probably the oldest Ganapathy temple in Tamilnadu as Ganapathi worship in other places has commenced only after the Pallava periods, much later. The installation of Ganapathi Idol was in open probably under the shades of Arasa maram & Vembu as  was the practice in early days. None of the idols had any roof to cover them in those days. The practice is continued  even to day with respect to  many village deitys such as Madan, chattan, Munisamy  and various female deities. In later development  the temple  was constructed  with only Ganapathi  Sanctom  sanatorium  and Arthamandapam in the beginning.  Ukrama Pandian has constructed the  present form of   other sannadhis for Kalastheeswarar, Kalyani Amman etc later, as the  pattern of constructions reveal. A deity in the form of  vishnu  was also worshipped by the brahmins within the precincts and later removed to a separate temple.Majority  of  brahmins brought in  from Narmada  were Vaishnavites (People worshipping Vishnu)  indicated  by the  Vishnu temples  all along Thambraparni  river banks installed by them . The sandyavandanam prayer is also directed  to Vishnu. and probably reveals that  all brahmins  were vaishnavites  in the beginning.


             Panchamuga VinayagarAyirathen Vinayagar Vimanam

Ayirathen Vinayagar Vimanam       Ayirathen Vinayagar Entrance




Panchamuga Vinayagar

The present day Mahamandapam along with the  Sivan & Ambal sannadhis are  one time extensions. The so called Rayar Mandapam  ( West of Kodimaram& Balipeedam)   looks to be a separate extension probably during the period of  Krishnadeva raya. A statue of  Anjaneya  is  carved in one of the pillars and is found no where else. Subsequent mandapam extensions enclosing Dwajasthambam, Bali peetam etc is known to have been done Naicker dynasty and installation of Bali peetam Dwajasthambam etc have been done by Ponnambala Thambiran of  Thiruavaduthurai Atheenam, who have played  a major role in renovating Saiva  temples in this part of the country. The Adeenam had a mutt in the village called the Easana matam . Three descendants of the mutt namely,Muthiah Thambiran, Veliah Thambiran & Ponnambala Thambiran have lived in the village. They have also regulated the  and organised the festivals in the temple. The second day festival of the Chitrai festival and the first day of  Navarathri  were  conducted from the contributions from the mutt. The  statues of these Thambirans are available in the temple precincts. They have also contributed  in decorating the deities. The   State   scholar of  Veerapandia Kattabomman  has sung a song  on the contribution of the  ratham by  Thandavaraya mudaliar. Vahanamandapam was   another subsequent addition.. In recent times (1983) renovations have been done , open spaces roofed around prakaram etc  but no new constructions were added.

 Available records show  Kumbabishekams have been performed  in 1913, 1924. 1945 and 1983 and the latest in 2008. The temple is under the control of  Hindu Religious Endowment department  and administered by a Executive officer functioning from Authoor.

During the Kumbabishekam in 1945, a new idol in Panchaloka, being a Utsavamurthy of Pancha mukha Vinayaga was installed. The piece is a very rare art  piece  only one of its kind , with five faces on the same plane. Ten arms  carry different  mudras and  ayudams. The deity is in standing / dancing form. The dyana sloka of the deity resembles that of Heramba Vinayaga The Panchaloga Idol of Lord Nataraja of this temple is an unique one having Makudam (Kreedam) on his head  as different from  Jadamudi or  virichadai in other idols. Moreover  the Thiruvachi  of this idol is separate and detatchable. Probably this indicates the olden days of this idol when the complicated casting technology  for  the combination  was not available.

Annual festival is being celebrated in the month of  Chitrai. Lord Vinayaga in different vahanams   bless  the  devotees on first four days. On the fifth day  Lord Shiva and Ambal in Rishabha vahanam and Vinayaga  on Mushika vahanam  decorate the streets. On the seventh day as is practiced elsewhere, Lord Nataraja steels the show in Thrikala puja. The speciality in our temple is that Lord Panchamuga Vinayaga   joins  Lord Nataraja on these occasions. The festival closes on the tenth   day with car festival..   Till around forty years ago, Annadanam in large scale used to be custom on all festival days. A separate  kitchen was available for this purpose on the  North west corner of the temple. A separate Murugan sannadhi  with panchaloka statue of Lord Subramania, Valli & Deivayanai was also  there ,  now the statues are  shifted  to  inside . The lads of the village used to enjoy  the serving  of food to the devotees  who sit on the  prakarams around the temple.

Ambal Vimanam

Dwajasthambam

 

Madapalli

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ambal Vimanam                        Dwajasthambam        Madapalli

 

Chathurkala puja  as per the Agama  sasthras is being performed with  heriditory  Shivachariars. Donations from public  plays a major roll in financing the activities . The annual festival in the month of Chitrai  is being organized  by the local public  from funds collected  from   philonthrapic  individualls, organizations and institutions.

The erstwhile custom of  distributing  food pockets to the Paradesis  from the temple  and funded by the village administration  was also discontinued in the recent past.

The temple records indicate  donations from various people.

The Chapparam for Lord Natarajar is probably the biggest in the  district measuring about 9 ft square with a height of  9 ft. This is clad on outside with brass  plates. Lots of  bells are hung within. This is contributed by Sri. Vadamalaiappa pillai. The thandaudham for this  was specially brought from ceylon , donated by Swaminatha Pillai  A  pallaquin  was donated by the King of  Travancore.

Sri Sundaramurthia pillai also contributed for the construction of the ratham.

The vinayagar temple is   situated on the (bindusthanam)  centre  of the triangle formed by the three kaval  deivam,  namely Ilayanainar, Thoppachi Amman & Sudalaimadan  on west, North & South. This is a rare phenomena  as the  mulasthanam for  Vinayaga  is on the centre of  basic  triangle.

Offering of One hundred and eight or one thousand and eight  coconuts  is a special  feature in this temple wherein the Vinayaga is known to be varaprasathi. Such offerings frequent almost every day.

Lighting of 1008 deepams or part of it has become a new form of worship that has come to stay in recent days. This is done on all Amavasyas and specific days as part of Prarthanas. 

Vinayaga is the Athishtana  devathai for Kethu graha and in combination with Kalahastheeswara this place has become a parihara sthala for  Kethu graha dosha/ Kalasarpa dosha, next to Kalahasthi in Andhra Pradesh. The pariharams include performing  Ganapathihomam & Navagraha homam in the morning  followed by Abhisheka & aradana and offering of 108/1008  coaconuts. Lighting of deepams in the evening is also part of this.